Fun Facts About Living in Seattle
• The land that is now the city of Seattle has been inhabited for at least 4,000 years.
• Seattle was the first city in the US to play a Beatles song on the radio.
• People in Seattle buy the most sunglasses per capita than any other U.S. city
• More people bike to work in Seattle than in any other similar-sized city in the U.S.
• Pike Place Market features the longest continuously operating farmer’s market in the US.
• Seattle has nearly 500 houseboats, more than anywhere else in the U.S.
• Seattle is ranked the most literate city in the country, with the highest percentage of residents with a college degree or higher.
• Seattle is home to the world’s first gas station, opened on East Marginal Way in 1907.
• Seattle is the birthplace of Starbucks, the world’s largest coffee chain. You can buy a unique mug (if you collect them) at the original Starbucks in Pike Place Market, first opened in 1971.